Monday, May 01, 2006

Immigration Support!!

Ok, even though I've had rough times with DH and I have often wanted to kill him ;), we really do have good times, and he does support me in stuff I do, albeit not the way I would like...

So I also support him and anything that upsets him. Like this immigration issue. Boy oh, boy is that really worrying him. Not that he could get deported, he is a legal resident, and has been for about 5 years. He's worried that he may be stopped from applying for citizenship.

Well, I inadvertatly started a thread at the forum I so lovingly call my second home (mommyjobs) and something amazing happend. There were a few friends that supported the idea, and one person who was misunderstood to be against the whole issue. That wasn't my objective at all. All I wanted was to see who was supporting the marches and rallies that were ongoing today nationwide. My friend Camille posted it about it, A day without immigrants, which is what the organizers are calling today, May 1, 2006.

This is my stand:

The United States of America were built by immigrants, and developed by immigrants, and have always supported immigrants. Immigrants view America as the only nation that is open to all cultures and languages. Now, we have Democrats and Republicans fighting immigration, and the whole point of our nation has been forgotten. Now, Mexico is considering making it legal for people to posses small amounts of drugs, but still illegal to sell, hoping to curb the drug traffic. But the political environment here screams and wants to completely close off the border, and pleads to the Mexican government not to allow their drug policy to go forward. And Mexico is pleading to the US that they not allow this immigration policy to go forward. WTF? And what about all the other people that are considered immigrants?? It's not just Mexicans!! There are Europeans, Iranians, Chinese, Japanese, Argentinian, Egyptian, and the list goes on and on and on and on... CMON PEOPLE This stupid immigration thing seems like a personal vendetta againgst spanish speaking people. AND I WILL BOYCOTT THE GOVERNMENT UNTIL THEY STOP THIS CRAP!!! Families are being pulled apart for no reason. Deserving people are being denied urgent medical care. There is no American Dream anymore.

Why did England send people over here in the first place? To start over and make a better life for themselves!! So why do so many people want to come here now??? To START OVER AND MAKE A BETTER LIFE FOR THEMSELVES!!!!!

I'm really mad now! I find these proposed laws extremely against the whole founding idea of the US. If these laws pass, I will gladly renounce my citizenship. It's not worth it.

Edit-My other good friend Jac also has a strong stand, which is nearly identical to mine: you can read about it in her post Support Illegal Immigration.
I don't have an account where she blogs so I couldn't leave a comment- so here it is now! There is a reason why I fell in love with my spouses family! They accepted me with no if's and's or but's and my mother in law cries each time I leave when I visit! I enjoy the peace I have when I visit Mexico and I would live there if I did renounce my citizenship! No questions asked. The people down there have such a postive attitude for life that is not apparent here, unfortunately.



6 comments:

  1. I so agree. People need to stop! It is not the People but the Governments that is making it harder for everyone else and what did the 'Illegal Immigrant' ever do you? KWIM? I am fed up with it! There is nothing wrong with "Illegal Immigrants"!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy Kira....actually the pilgrims came over to America for religious freedom from the English Government....Just had to toss that in.

    My opinion is this, either make them legal citizens or send them back, don't let them stay illegally in the country because they are not paying income taxes. So make them legal so that they can be productive and contributing members of society! America is open to everyone, you just have to give everyone the chance to be a citizen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree in a sense, but there are quite a few "illegals" that I know that are faithfully paying their taxes. Not to say that all do, only a few honest ones. At least the gov could give them a better chance at citizenship like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wholeheartedly support the legalization of immigrants from ALL nations. Well...maybe not the known terrorist countries.

    As a Florida native, I have seen the positive and negative sides to illegal aliens. In my area of SW Florida, there are tons of Mexicans that work the farms. I can guarantee you that no black, white or purple man will work the fields for pennies like the Mexican workers! They should be paid at least minimum wage and should be provided decent living quarters. I am saddened that these people live in the homes they do. They are shacks and we should be ashamed they are allowed to live like that.

    I would love to see an evolution in thinking before I die. I would love to see people celebrate their heritage, but accept that we are ALL Americans. We are not African-Americans, Italian-Americans, Chinese-Americans, etc. One thing is for certain. Until we as Americans start viewing each other as ONE, then we will never be a whole nation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi...well I might as well throw in my 2 cents here. Why not...lol. BTW...this is mom_on_a_mission...some of you may know me by that...I don't have an account here so excuse the anonymous thing.

    Anyway, let me start out by saying that I am not a hater of hispanics or any other group for the matter. I am about as white/european/caucasian as you can get. My family has been in the U.S. for many generations (so we were immigrants a long long time ago). However, my family lives in a very culturally/ethnically diverse city. My good friend is a 1st generation American for Poland. Her son is my son's best friend. My son also has friends named Miguel, Jose, and Angel. I go to a church that is 90% Hispanic. In my home group, there are 3 "white" girls and I am one of them. Another friend has a husband from Mexico who is a "resident"...when she married him he was an illegal. Whew...ok...you get the idea.

    Now I'll get to what I want to say... Immigrants are very close to my heart since I am surrounded by them. That being said, I believe it is in the best interest of our country to protect our borders and make sure that people who are here are here legally. For whatever reason we have not done a very good job of that. Now we find ourselves in a bit of a crisis. Should we deport every illegal? No...I don't think so. For those that are here to work and be a part of this society, perhaps they should be given amnesty and the opportunity to become citizens. For those that are here causing trouble...well...they can go back to where they came from...wherever that may be. If we, as a country, do not protect our borders, eventually it won't matter...we will no longer have a country to protect.

    So what does this make me? Am I a supporter or not? Hmmmmmm...I support people's desire to make a better life for themselves. I believe we are a nation of laws and people need to follow those laws. I believe people who come here need to do so in way that has respect for our laws. However, we have turned a blind eye to the illegal situation for many years so we should not just toss people out on their ear if they want to go through the process of becoming a citizen of this country (U.S.) But from here on out, I think we need to be much stricter in enforcing our laws and shore up our borders. Ok...I think I'm done. Thanks, Kira for letting me post. : )

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no problem with anyone coming to this country to better themselves first off BUT what i have a problem with is the illegal aspect of it.If others go by the book and wait and do what they need to come here and get there visa and such why dosnt everyone else.That is not fair to their fellow people if they dont play by the rules and others are.

    The major thing that bothers me is they come here as illegal which means most the time they live in poor conditions and work for very little which by doing that it only hurts them in the long run by allowing it to happen.If they was all legal then that wouldnt be aloud to happen.It only hurts themselves and that just bothers me so much that they would lower themselves to be treated like animals.No person deserves to be treated like most illegal immigrants are and the only way to stop it is by having everyone legal and cracking down on the slave labor.

    My 2 cents,

    alisia

    ReplyDelete