Thursday, August 14, 2008

As if I needed anything else to worry me...

I just found out last night that my dad had a heart attack on Tuesday.

His girlfriend emailed me to let me know. Supposedly he has been feeling "yucky" for the last few days and thought it was just because of his elevated blood sugar levels. Well then Tuesday evening he said he had felt heavy weight on his chest, and then sharp pain that lasted about 10-15 minutes, but then went away. He didn't think anything of it until she talked to him the next day. So he went into his doctor yesterday and they did an EKG, which didn't show anything, and drew some blood, which showed elevated levels of something that indicated that he had a heart attack. So his DR sent him straight to the emergency room for more tests. Sure enough, the tests revealed that he did have a heart attack, but they are not sure if it was one big event or a series of smaller ones. So he was transferred to another hospital to get a heart catheter put in place. He'll have that procedure done this morning around 11am.

I'm a little scared. He's approaching his 70's- his birthday is September 20 and I think he'll be 66 or 67 this year (can't remember). But he's always made light of his health for as long as I can remember. I so want to go visit him, but 1. I can't fly right now, 2. I'm so close to my due date that I run the risk of going into delivery up there, and 3. it's about a 10-12 hour drive. He's in a hospital outside of Portland, OR. My sister is closer, she's in Portland, but I don't know if she's going to be able to see him since she doesn't drive. He normally goes to visit her once a week or every two weeks, and has been helping her out a little financially while she is in school. So I'm a little worried about her as well. She's 25, so I know she's capable of taking care of herself. Its just that she's my little sis!

I couldn't sleep last night after reading that email. I'm going to try and call him this afternoon at the hospital and see how he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment