Saturday, July 26, 2008

Depression Blues

This week I was diagnosed with ante-partum depression, and prescribed Zoloft. I've had depression for a number of years now, but have never tried to get help. A few things that have happened in the last year triggered more of a downfall for me, and getting pregnant didn't make it better. I just started this week actually taking the medication. At this point in my pregnancy the doctor said that there were less risks to the fetus from the medication because his brain is pretty much developed as well as everything else. If I had started on the meds earlier, there would be a higher risk of developmental delays and such, but even then those are still not 100% certain. I felt that any risks would be outweighed by the benefits to me. I just want to be happy, and feeling comfortable with this pregnancy and not get worse when he is born. My dr also said that not getting the help and medication could be more detrimental to the health of my baby.


Since I've never taken any medication before to treat depression, I was put on 50mg to start, and told about all the possible side effects. I pretty much knew what to look for because I've done tons of research on the net about available medications and such. I was always afraid that nothing would ever work for me, or I would be one of the unusual cases of severe side effects. But again, at this point I just need to be feeling better. I have tons of other problems going on at home, and I want to straighten those out as well, but I can't if I'm not mentally well. So that is my top priority- get myself well so I can deal with other things. Also, as long as I am well, I know that my baby will be well.

2 comments:

  1. I chanced upon your blog entry and am so relieved I am not alone. I am also diagnosed with depression and for the first time, I am taking anti depressant and medication for it. Hope to get in touch as we share how we overcome this challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hihi... reading your entry reminds me of what's happening to me.. recently, I've also taken the first step to seek medical help for depression and on medication.. on lexapro etc.. but not 50mg as much as yours.. stay strong ya.. i am sure we can be better in time to come..

    ReplyDelete